Escalators have been known to carry people to and from buildings, in between buildings, to various floors within buildings. They’re used around the world in places where lifts would be impractical or they’re used along with lifts.
We find most escalators in department stores, malls, transit systems, airports, convention centers, hotels and stadiums. Here is a list of the longest escalators in the world.
Longest Individual Escelators
- The longest escalators in the world are installed deep underground in Russia at the stations of the Saint Petersburg Metro. The Ploshchad Lenina (453 ft. long/226 ft. of elevation), Chernyshevskaya (453 ft. long/226 ft of elevation), and Admiralteyskaya (453 ft high/226 ft. of elevation).
- The longest freestanding escalator in the world is in Atlanta, GA inside CNN Center’s atrium. It rises eight stories high and is (205 ft.) long.
- In Georgia, the Rustaveli station in the Tbilisi Metro is 60 meters (197 ft) high and 120 meters (394 ft) long.
- The Lianglukou Huangguan Escalator in Chongqing, China is 112 m (367 ft) long and has a transit time of about 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- The longest set of single-span uninterrupted escalators in the Southern Hemisphere is a set of four and three sets of escalators at the Parliament underground railway station in Melbourne. Each is 30 meters (98 ft) long, taking about 1 minute and 25 seconds from top to bottom.
- When the Forrestfield-Airport Line in Western Australia is complete, the longest single-span uninterrupted escalator in the Southern Hemisphere will be a triple-wide escalator inside Airport Central railway station from the elevated Skybridge to the concourse level. The escalator is 15 m high (49 ft) and 35 m (115 ft) long but is not yet operational.
- Three stations in Saint Petersburg Metro in Russia have escalators up to 138 m (453 ft) long and 69 m (226 ft) high: Ploshchad Lenina, Chernyshevskaya, and Admiralteyskaya (longest in the world).
- In the Park Pobedy station of the Moscow Metro, the escalators are 126.8 m (416 ft) or 740 steps long, and 63.4 m (208 ft) high. It takes three minutes to transit.
- The longest escalator in Prague, and in the European Union, is at the Náměstí Míru station. It is 87 m (285 ft) long and 43.4 m (1421⁄2 ft) high.
- The longest escalators in Western Europe are in the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg (82 m/269 ft), in Helsinki Koivusaari Metro Station (76 m/249 ft), in Helsinki Airport Railway Station (74m/243 ft), and at Stockholm Metro station Västra Skogen (67 m/220 ft). The new Stockholm Metro station in Nacka is currently under construction but will have an escalator 82 m (269 ft).
- The tallest escalator on the London Underground system is at Angel station on the Northern Line with a length of 60 m (200 ft), and a vertical rise of 27 m (90 ft).
- The longest wooden escalators in the United Kingdom are at the Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnel, with a length of 60 m (197 ft).
- The longest escalator of a European shopping mall is at MyZeil, Frankfurt, Germany, with a length of 45 m (150 ft).
North and South America
- The longest set of single-span uninterrupted escalators in the Western Hemisphere is at Wheaton station on the Washington Metro Red Line. They are 70 m (230 ft) long with a vertical rise of 35 m (115 ft). It takes nearly three-and-a-half minutes to complete the escalator without walking.
- The longest freestanding escalator is in Atlanta, GA inside CNN Center’s atrium. It rises eight stories high and is (205 ft.) long.
- The longest single-span escalator in a Canadian Transit system is in the Rideau station of the Confederation Line in Ottawa and is currently under construction. The escalator will be 35.3 meters (116 ft) in length with a rise of 15.8 meters (52 ft) and 181 steps.
Longest Escalator Systems
- Central–Mid-Levels escalator (790 m /2,600 ft) in Hong Kong, is the world’s longest outdoor escalator system with moving walkways. It goes only one way at a time; the direction reverses depending on the direction of rush hour traffic. It takes 20 minutes one way if you stand still during the course. Noted in the Guinness World Records as the “Longest outdoor covered escalator system in the world.”
- A system of escalators (the largest public escalator network in Europe) connects Potenza, Italy, with its downhill neighborhoods. The escalator system is approximately 500 m (1,600 ft) in length.
- A network of six escalators of 380 m (1,260 ft) length, equivalent to 28 stories high, is in Medellín, Colombia. The system offers a six-minute ride to the city center. Previously it took 35 minutes to climb on foot.
- Cascade, Yerevan has an escalator system of 236 m (774 ft) length and 118 m (387 ft) in height.
- Ocean Park, Hong Kong has an escalator system connecting two parts of the Park, with an overall length of 220 m (730 ft).
The dimension of stuff has been an interest of mine ever since I was a child. What I believe is most fascinating about the dimension of stuff is how extremely long, tall and wide some objects are both on earth and in the universe.